i love
pretty things and
clever words. -Unknown

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Waiting for Superman

**Disclaimer: Hero is a term debated in the world today. I have hero's that I work with day in and day out. My parents were my hero's. So, just before I begin, in no way do I take away from the REAL hero's of this world so don't take any offence to anything I'm saying, PLEASE**

So lets get this straight. I love Superman. Through the years and decades, he, I think, has remained THE Superhero. Don't get me wrong. I'm not a hater of the other superhero's out there, I have my own Batman gear, and I won't say no to watching Avengers and all the related movies. But I find it hard to doubt that there is a more defining hero of the term 'Superhero' in the comic book world than Superman. 

There are several people who have asked me, "Why? Why are you so obsessed with Superman?" I thought about this long and hard, because while maybe it's a simple thing to explain, (after all, he IS Superman!) in my little heart, the answer is not so simple. 

I finally came up with this answer. (Flannery O'connor said, "I write to discover what I know." so please excuse the story format. It's how I figure out my own mind). 
     "Why are you so in love with Superman?" 
     "Because I've always wanted to marry someone just like Clark Kent." 
     "Not like Superman?" 
     "No, I don't think so. You see, Clark Kent is the perfectly human side of Superman. Put the secret keeping aside, he's in love with Lois Lane, he's a little nerdy and goofy, perhaps a little clumsy, but he protects her while at the same time he makes her feel like the hero. I want to love someone like that. He might look pretty imperfect to everyone else, but he will know that to me, he is Superman."

That might sound idealistic, but that's who I am. My Superman is out there, but maybe I just haven't learned enough to really see him. 

A couple years ago I stumbled upon this Poster on Pinterest. I absolutely adore it, in fact I bought it and have it hanging in my house. And it's my cell phone backdrop. 
Image Thanks to Entropy Trading Co Click Here! to get your own Poster!
First of all, I obviously love Superman, so just based on that, this poster won my heart. But there is so much more to it! Some people might say, "You forget, even Lois Lane couldn't see past the glasses to know that Clark Kent was the superhero she loved." 

Maybe that's true, but eventually, she figured it out. She had to learn to look past the glasses and every other wall that Clark had built up in order to see him for who he really was. Clark Kent was always the disguise, not the reality, but Lois just had to learn to see it. That's not so far from how it is today. I've learned this past year, that if you can learn to look past the walls and then really believe in someone, they can become your Superman. 

I titled this post, "Waiting for Superman" because that is totally my song. (It's by Daughtry, Look it up!) I read something that Chris Daughtry said about this song, "For me, I think it means waiting for that person to step up and be what you need them to be-whatever that may be, in that particular moment." And I totally agree. But I'd add my two cents and say that it means stepping up and being that person, and also allowing someone to be that person. I know I'm at fault when I say that I do too much waiting and not enough allowing, but it's something I'm working on. I'm working on seeing past the 'glasses' and I'm learning to look for what is really right for me. 

It's hard. You know, I know that you do. But you're doing better than you think. And so am I


And...if you've been able to untangle any thoughts from this mix matched post, I'd love to hear them! 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment