i love
pretty things and
clever words. -Unknown

Friday, November 16, 2012

The Pied Piper

I have to begin by letting you know that I'm not at all as educated in all things Political as ought to be. That is something I'm hoping to remedy in the future, but as it stands, I'm not well versed in the subject other than a simple beginners knowledge. 

That being said, I voted in the last election, I was proud to do it. It is a freedom that was hard come by, as a nation, and also as women. It's something I've heard people complain about, and I haven't always done my fair share, but I want to. I don't know what the next four years will bring, I don't pretend to know or make predictions, but I have to admit that it makes me sad to hear states are petitioning for succession from the Union. I stand by a statement I heard long ago in a Elementary school children's program, "United we stand, divided we fall."

I saw the movie 'Lincoln' tonight, and it was a clear reminder that there is so much I do not know about our country's history and the people who played a part in it. But the Civil War was awful and horrible, and there were a lot of states at that time who thought leaving the Union was the answer. It wasn't then, I don't think it is now. 

Tonight's title is in reference to the book 'Rilla of Ingleside' that I just finished listening to today. It was a favorite book when I was younger, the last one of the Anne of Green Gables series that literally wished wouldn't ever end. 

Anne's son and Rilla's brother, Walter, was one of my favorite characters in the book, and as the book is written about the time of the Great War (WWI) all of Anne's boy's enlist to help England and the Allies fight against Germany. 

*Spoiler*

In it, Walter is killed, fulfilling his once childhood vision of the Pied Piper, coming to call the Valley's children to follow him. He some time after his death, Rilla receives a letter from him with the following words: 

"I saw the Piper coming down the Valley with a shadowy host behind him. ...last night I saw him again. I was doing sentry-go and I saw him marching across No-man's land from our trenches to the German trenches-the same tall shadowy form, piping wierdly-and behind him followed boys in khaki. ...Rilla, the Piper will pipe me 'west' tomorrow. I feel sure of this. And Rilla, I'm not afraid. When you hear the news, remember that. I've won my own freedom here-freedom from all fear. ...Yes, I'm glad I came, Rilla. It isn't only the fate of the little sea-born island I love that is in the balance--nor of Canada, nor of England. It is the fate of mankind. That is what we're fighting for. And we shall win--never for a moment doubt that, Rilla. For it isn't only the living who are fighting--the dead are fighting too. Such and army cannot be defeated. ...And you will tell your children of the Idea we fought and died for--teach them it must be lived for as well as died for, else the price paid for it will have been given for naught." 

I am sorry for the long quote, but it felt important. In the past few years, I've heard people talk of War as a thing of the past, they-and I-forget we are still at war. I think there is more war in the world that I would ever like to believe. 

But I do know in the words of Walter, that we will win. There are many fighting for us that we don't know about. 

In so many things I've been reading and watching war seems to be a common thing and it makes me dread it all the more. But I then remind myself to look forward to the winning. 


No comments:

Post a Comment