i love
pretty things and
clever words. -Unknown

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Book Review

So I joined a book club in my city, and the second book we read really impressed me. It isn't one that I would have picked up off the shelf, but it's one that I think I would like to own one day. It's called "Between Shades of Gray" by Ruta Sepetys

Here is what the official website says about this book: http://www.betweenshadesofgray.com/

In 1941, fifteen-year-old Lina is preparing for art school, first dates, and all that summer has to offer. But one night, the Soviet secret police barge violently into her home, deporting her along with her mother and younger brother. They are being sent to Siberia. Lina's father has been separated from the family and sentenced to death in a prison camp. All is lost.

The book follows a Lithuanian family's history through some horrifying events in the history of WWII. Told through the eyes of Lina, this powerful story is one that I am sad to say I had ever even heard before. I have heard, like everyone else, about Hitler and the Jews, but I never new that during that same time, so many people were being killed. 

I thought this would be a hard book for me to read, but Sepetys write in such a way that you truly can relate to the characters in the book. You can see their good qualities and the ones that are truly important, love and hope. There was always a sense of hope in Lina and her mother. Her mother was truly inspiring because she always had an attitude that things would work out no matter how horrible they got. Her example is what helped her children all throughout the book. 

There are several powerful one-liners in this book, lines that make you stop and think. Because I listened to the book on Audio, I didn't remember all of them like I would have liked to, but I do remember one powerful one that made me stop and think when I heard it. Later, when i got a hard copy of the book, it was the line on the back cover. It says, "Have you ever wondered what a human life is worth? That morning, my brother's was worth a pocket watch." 

Although the story follows a fictional family, nearly all of the things the family goes through happened to someone who lived during this time. The author told of interviewing survivors originally to write a non-fiction book. But because the survivors still fear retribution for speaking out about the things they suffered, no one wanted to put their name in the book. 

I thought it was a powerful story and very well written. I think that because Sepetys has ties to Lithuania, she was able to truly tell this story with real emotion. I would fully recommend it. Also, check out the books website and the short clip the author has on there. It's powerful and reminds you what it is to truly have the freedom we do have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment